3 pin power adapter. 24V, GRN and COM for medical monitor.?

3 pin power adapter. 24V, GRN and COM for medical monitor.? Topic: Use case system diagram
June 25, 2019 / By Abiud
Question: Hello and thank you in anticipation for your answers. I'm trying to make a replacement power adapter (24V---3.75A) for a medical monitor. There are 3 pin connectors and the diagram on one side of the supply box reads: 1- 24V, 2- GRN and 3-COM. I bought a universal adapter and using a couple alligator clips I was able to turn on the monitor using 1 as the positive and 2 as ground. It works. But what caught my attention is that when I use 1(+) AND 3 instead of 2 it also works. I noticed, using a multimeter, that, when unplugged, there is not V reading when using 1 and 3 (COM), but there is a V, in this case 24V when using 1 and 2. I wonder why there are 2 "negative" pins and also would like to know that if I make a power adapter using 1 as + and only one of either 2 or 3 would damage my monitor. Thank you. PD: This is a "almost impossible to get" power adapter made by National Display Systems. There are not generics and the OEM's are very expensive. It took me a couple months to find the connector and it is fairly easy to find a 24V 3.75 supply.
Best Answer

Best Answers: 3 pin power adapter. 24V, GRN and COM for medical monitor.?

Sky Sky | 5 days ago
Just like the AC line 3 pin connectors, which have hot, neutral (return) and safety ground. The 24 volts comes out of pin 1 and is to be returned on pin 3. Pin 2 is ground. In use, tie pins 2 and 3 together to ground and use pin 1 for +24 volt. Note that medical equipment requires special safety considerations. My understanding is that you would have to get your replacement supply qualified, and that may not be easy.
👍 278 | 👎 5
Did you like the answer? 3 pin power adapter. 24V, GRN and COM for medical monitor.? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: Use case system diagram

Sky Originally Answered: Long car trip, and i want to get an adapter to plug in normal stuff into, like a desktop and monitor?
Yes it can be done. No you should not do it. You would first need to have a rather large inverter to give you enough power to run a desktop and a monitor. I would say at least a 1000 watt inverter to be safe. This would have to be hard wired into the power circuit of the car, and will have to be placed in a location that will allow it to get air to cool the inverter to prevent overheating. Once you have the inverter, you will also need a surge protector, just as your would at home. Now that your have this all plugged in, you need a desk or something to place the keyboard and mouse on. Next, you hit a bump on the highway while your hard disk is accessing a critical file, and your entire OS is trashed, and maybe the hard drive as well. A big part of why laptops are so expensive when compared to a desk top of the same ratings, is the ability to survive the abuse that they get from being used in mobile locations. A desk top is not designed to withstand the shock that it can see while you are riding in a car on a highway. Take your chances if you wish. But you would be wiser to spend a little more money and get a low or mid range laptop to take, rather than risking permanent damage to a desk top's hardware by running it in a mobile enviroment.
Sky Originally Answered: Long car trip, and i want to get an adapter to plug in normal stuff into, like a desktop and monitor?
It's possible, you would need an inverter or a dc power supply. Just be aware that the typical desktop and monitor can draw quite a bit >500 amps. You would need one of the big units that you wire up to the battery. One that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket would not work for something like this. You would also only want to use it mostly while the vehicle is running as you can run the battery down pretty quick. Most decent inverters will shut off before they drain the battery too much, but then you're machine just shuts off and depending on what type of OS/filesystem and what was being done at the time you could end up with some corrupted files. Make sure you have extra fuses. You may want to check these links for more info: http://www.mp3car.com/ http://www.mini-box.com

Piety Piety
For medical applications your equipment MUST have extremely high standards of protection from the mains. This is provided by the power supply. And thats why medical PSUs are expensive. Normal transformers have a pair of windings. For medical applications these are separated either by an air gap, or an interleaved earthed layer, or both. They must conform to EN/UL60601 medical use directive Possibly your best option would be to use a generic 24V 4A supply, and power it through a suitable isolation transformer.
👍 120 | 👎 1

Piety Originally Answered: Ide/ATA/SATA power adapter?
The adapters I've used are all based on connecting to the USB port on your PC and not made for long-term use. The USB port can be slow for transfering large amounts of data but it does work. My advice is to save the money and get a new computer case that has enough drive bays to support the hard drives. Mike Honeycutt
Piety Originally Answered: Ide/ATA/SATA power adapter?
My superb guess is please attempt no longer too use them they harm a superb type of yankee home equipment in spite of that adaptor. I had the adaptor in my T.V and it shop coming near and rancid so I took it out so my T.V did no longer get tangled up I extensively utilized it on a medical gadget and it blow the hollow element so in case you reside in housing only use the yankee plugs and in case you reside off submit only purchase German you will shop funds that why. yet confident it truly is the two prongs in case you're truly desperate to apply them. good success.

If you have your own answer to the question use case system diagram, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.